- Ability scores generation method?3d6 in order. Various non-humans roll differently for some abilities 3d4, d10+8
- How are death and dying handled?After HP is gone start subtracting from Constitution and roll on Death and Dismemberment table. When all Con is gone, probably dead. Roll on the "Dead / Mostly Dead Table". If truly dead you may attempt Haunting.
- What about raising the dead? Death is just the beginning. Make deals with demon to be returned to life. Friends can come "rescue" you from the underworld. Or, if they have part of your body, take it to the clone-vats and get a new, probably not very mutated, you!
- How are replacement PCs handled? Promotion of henchmen or start at 1st level.
- Initiative: individual, group, or something else? Meh, I've tried many, many systems and the all bog down more than they add. Generally players get to go first. If there's some situtation where it matters we roll off.
- Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?Natual roll >= 20 (some times you get to roll d24 or d30 for attack) Effects are made up on the spot based on weapon, situation. Nat 1's break bows, explode firearms, but mostly ignore fumbles except if there's some comedy to be had.
- Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?Less death on Death and Dismemberment Table.
- Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?Requires two attack rolls, if only one succedes you hit, just not what you wanted to.
- Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? At low levels you will need to run from many encounters. At all levels you will need to recognize and avoid deathtrap encounters. i.e. by the time you decide to run away it's already too late. At no level will you be able to win every fight.
- Level-draining monsters: yes or no? No cause it's annoying to deal with that particular effect. Instead they bypass HP and drain Strength/Constituion directly.
- Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? You mean will there be cases where a successful save prevents a PC's wholly deserved death, yes. Saves are truely saves, second/last chances. Bestowed by the fates cause they like you even though you do stupid things and get yourself killed.
- How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? Depends on situation, in a desert/deep dungeon with no chance of resupply and resources are big part of the "deal", strictly. Like anything it's fun in moderation.
- What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? There's a "bing!" sound and you are suddenly more awesome.
- What do I get experience for? Surviving encounters ala DCC. Carousing. Making Referee laugh.
- How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination? Mostly by springing them (certain classes have trap avoidance). Players could look for them. Magic could find them. No skill to find them.
- Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?Depends on number of players, less players more henchmen. Henchmen are encouraged for backup PC purposes. Shield bearers, porters, torchbearers, dogs are not hired enough.
- How do I identify magic items? Several classes can maybe id potions. By trial/use. There is also this ritual; rub chicken on item, cut off it's head. After it's done running around if it falls to its right, magic! Also, skilled diviners are able to interpret properties of item from the patterns of blood chicken leaves behind.
- Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? Sure, anything is possible. But, not readily.
- Can I create magic items? When and how? You'll have to find out through game play.
- What about splitting the party? Two words Scythe Trap!
Wednesday, September 5, 2012
All Time Most Popular Posts
[ Magic Items Should be Magical originally posted Dec 25th, 2008! A good post, edited and shortened a bit.] Magic Items Are Special Creat...
[This post was written by Flip, author of The Paradigm Traveller RPG blog. Payback for the guest post Role Playing Game aides and accoute...
Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, MUSHROOM!
or d6+6. Some high number of hit points. Pixie being a Player Character version of some 6-8 inch tall thing with wings that flits about an...
In my Gold and Glory campaign I've created some fluff around standard D&D magic. Which has lead to particular research rules I us...
Dicecreator posted video update to my DIY Dice post, nice! Looks awesome, thanks for the video.
Oh giditty git, I loves me some maps. "Atlas" was my favorite book type as a kid. They were bigger than any other book in our hou...
Board Game Bash is a board game convention right here in beautiful Austin, Texas. It's going on all weekend long from Saturday, Augus...
Omg this game is so awesome I don't mind being chewed on. I'm predisposed to like DCC RPG , I'm biased, Troll and Flame was...
B1 In Search of the Unknown Every edition available again! D&D Classics . Seems a little slow at the moment. Original editions m...